Approach to Dentistry
Nearly 70 percent of Americans take nutraceuticals and dietary supplements, usually without any form of guidance from health care practitioners.
Dentists do not receive formal education to advise patients on these choices.
Over-the-counter and traditional herbal remedies, natural supplements and homeopathic remedies can significantly impact oral-systemic health, but they are not necessarily free of risks or side effects. Dentists need to be able to give patients the space to disclose this information, help them make informed choices and educate them regarding oral systemic connections. Most systemic disease has signs visible in the mouth. The mouth is part of the gut, which contains the majority of the body’s immune system cells.
Connections between the mouth and whole-body inflammation, the latest on nutrition and dietary trends and the effectiveness of vitamin and mineral supplements will be explored in this session.
This course features an overview of the most commonly used herbal remedies patients may already be taking, their most common effects, interactions and side effects, as well as lesser-known supplements that may be discussed with patients who have visible signs of oral-systemic disease.
The focus of this session will be on a wide range of supplements the dental team should consider when speaking with patients about their health history, the specific impact herbs and supplements may have on patients’ oral and systemic health and what important contraindications exist for the most commonly available OTC supplements, herbs, and alternative treatments.
- Discuss connections between oral health and heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure, cancer, and other disorders
- Discover modern diet choices that support better health and lower inflammation
- Identify which commonly prescribed drugs deplete essential vitamins and minerals and how to help patients counter the effects
- Explore how nutritional and herbal supplements can support oral and systemic health and any contraindications
- Receive and review a reference guide for helping patients make informed choices in terms of value, variety and quality when purchasing supplements or OTC remedies
Drugs and Nutrition Depletion
If the course is a workshop format, participants will have opportunity to learn through a “taste test” utilizing OTC products which lock in the learning and enables them to educate their patients by sharing their first-hand experience.
View Course Description (PDF)